News 13+ mobile app
Updated January 2016
News 13 has released the latest version of our News 13+ app that now allows users with iPads and tablets to take advantage of our Safety Net alerts. Safety Net alerts will let you know instantly whenever severe weather strikes in your area.
In addition, you can now set Safety Net to send alerts for more than three locations in your device. Those locations can be set anywhere within the United States, making it easy to stay on top of severe weather wherever your loved ones are.
Download it NOW
- iPhone and Ipad users can find the News 13+ in the Apple app store.
- Android users can find the News 13+ in the Google Play store. Simply do a search for News 13 and select the News 13+ app.
News 13+ for smartphones
- View temperature, wind speed, dew point, humidity, visibility and pressure over the next 24 hours.
- Move the slider to the hour of the day you want to see.
- Select your current location or add several saved locations so it's easy to see what the weather will be like at home, school or work.
- View expected weather conditions for the next seven days.
- Select your current location or add a list of different locations to pick from.
Interactive weather map
- The power of StormTracker 13 is in your hands wherever you go!
- Zoom into your location to get LIVE StormTracker 13 radar and other data.
- Click on the current location window to label a specific zoomed-in location and save it.
- The play arrow on the lower right shows you the weather developments within the past 15 minutes.
- The overlay logo on the bottom right brings up a list of options for you to view on the map.
- Data: StormTracker 13 radar, National radar, Temperature, Infrared Satellite, Visible Satellite, Melbourne NWS radar;
- Overlays: All alerts (watches and warnings), ETLN Lightning, NHC track, Spaghetti plots;
- You can have one data option with one overlay option on at a time;
- Settings: Choose your view between standard, satellite or hybrid; control the opacity of the weather data, you can choose to see the map legend and whether to see your location pins.
Safety Net alerts
You can set up weather watches and warnings and even notices of non-severe weather approaching your specific location.
- Click on the menu button on the upper-left hand side of the app, then select Safety Net alerts, then click Enable alerts.
- Inbox: Here is where the most recent alerts are kept.
- Preferences: Choose which type of alerts you want to receive.
- Lightning in Area: Sends an alert when a lightning strike is within 10 miles of your location.
- This is where you can disable the alerts.
- Locations: Save up to eight locations; you can also turn on 'current location' to receive alerts no matter where you are!
- Misc: This is where you turn the alert system on or off.
Send us your pictures
- When you see weather or breaking news, simply click on the camera icon on the lower left of the menu.
- The pictures go to a secure web interface and will be reviewed by our staff.
- We may use your picture online or on the air!
- Only the submitted image and the approximate location from where it was submitted are shown to our staff.
Headlines and more!
Choose from these selections:
Tabs are also available for Feedback, App Tutorial and Settings.
News 13+ for iPads and tablets
All of the same features are available to iPad and tablet users, with the exception of the ability to submit photos. That feature will be added in a future release.
Additional features on the iPad and tablets are:
- The News 13 weather Twitter feed on the weather conditions page;
- A link to the News 13 breaking news and update Twitter feed page.
News 13+ Help & FAQ
How much does the News 13+ app cost?
- Nothing. It is a free service offered by News 13 and its parent company, Bright House Networks.
How do I get News 13+?
- If you have an iPhone or iPad, go to the App store, search News 13 and install the News 13+ app. If you have an Android phone or tablet, go to the Google Play store, search News 13, and install the News 13+ app.
What do I need to run the app on Apple?
- Requires version iOS6 and up
- Size is 13.7 MB
- Optimized for iPhone 5
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
What do I need to run the app on Andorid?
- Requires version 2.3 and up
- Size is 8.5M
- Compatible with smartphones and tablets
What will the app need to access on my mobile device?
Identity: Find/read accounts on user’s device. This is used for Google Cloud Messaging so that push notifications go through.
Contacts: Needed to import a contact when setting up a custom SAF-T-Net location.
Location: Needed to issue alerts when a user has mobile location enabled. Also used for current conditions/showing user’s location on the map.
Photos/Media/Files: Needed so users may select one of their own photos as an icon for a custom SAF-T-Net location.
Wi-Fi Connection Information: Needed to see a user’s Wi-Fi connection information. For example, if Wi-Fi is turned on and the name(s) of connected devices.
Device ID & Call Information: Needed so a user may bring up the phone screen if an alert is issued for a custom Safety Net location that has a phone number associated with it.
Is there a version for Windows phones available?
- There are no plans at this time to develop an app for Windows phones.
Does News 13+ (Baron Services) sell the contact information to subscribers?
- No, we do not sell the contact information of our subscribers.
Does News 13+ (Baron Services) share my contact information with its partners?
- No, we will not share your contact information with our partners.
Do app alerts count as text messages?
- No. News 13+ Safety Net alerts are over-the-app push notifications, which rely on data usage rather than text message count. Be sure to check with your service provider for data usage rates.
How do I turn on location services?
- To receive Safety Net alerts: When you initially select this option, it will go to a screen asking whether you wish to enable the alerts. Once you do that, you can manage this in the Settings menu for the alerts under the Misc tab.
- Current and forecast conditions: It defaults to your location, but you can also click on the location window at the top and choose a new location.
- In order for the location services to work, you must check your individual phone settings to make sure your location services are turned on.
How do I get rid of location pins on the weather map?
- Go to the icon on the lower left of the map and then click Settings. Deselect "Show Favorite Locations."
Why can't I see the phone apps in landscape?
- Our app development team is in the process of upgrading the apps to include this option.