ORLANDO, Fla. — While Central Florida dodged a bullet from Hurricane Dorian, The Bahamas suffered massive devastation and need all the help they can get.
- WEATHER ALERTS: Sign up to receive weather text alerts from Spectrum News 13
To help, organizations, businesses and other groups are collecting supplies for those who will be affected. Below is a list of ways you can help, including donation locations.
If you're part of a group conducting a relief drive and would like to be listed here, send an email to our assignment desk at email@example.com with a list of items you're collecting, contact information, and times and location.
Check back as we update this list regularly.
DISASTER RELIEF EFFORTS
BAHAMAS PARTNERS: The Islands of the Bahamas has released a list of charities it is specifically working with for donations of money or goods. You can find the complete list on the Islands of the Bahamas website.
OneBlood is asking all eligible donors to donate blood can be sent to the Bahamas. Generally, healthy people age 16 or older who weigh at least 110 pounds can donate. For a list of donor centers and mobile drives, click here.
Amazon's Disaster Relief Wish Lists are active. Customers can donate products and money by visiting amazon.com/disasterrelief.
Air Unlimited to support Abaco Island is now preparing its crew for ongoing humanitarian flights to begin as soon as they are cleared for travel.
Fiscal donations are being accepted at: www.gofundme.com/f/abaco-relief. These funds will be used for supplies and aircraft fuel, which is needed to transport resources and conduct medical evacuation missions to and from the Abacos.
Additionally, the Air Unlimited facilities at the Orlando Sanford International Airport will be used as a collection point for relief supplies, such as first aid kits, rope, flashlights, hygiene products, and more.
- DROP OFF: 4130 Centerline Lane, Sanford, FL 32773
Americares has a team already in the Bahamas and is ready to ship medical aid and relief supplies. The teams will assess health needs for residents. Donations up to $10,000 will be doubled through Friday. to donate, go to americares.org/dorianfund.
Bahama Relief from Brevard County is a local partnership with ABC Supply of Central Florida, the Brevard County Clerks Office and many other local business partners as drop-off points for relief supplies. These items will be sent to those impacted in the Bahamas from Hurricane Dorian. ABC Supply will work to get those items to those in need in the Bahamas by plane.
Besides unopened personal items that are dropped off at the following locations, ABC Supply will be accepting construction items bought previously from construction companies and not used.
- Titusville — Brevard Clerk of Court — 790 South Park Ave, Titusville
- Beef O Brady's — 2825 Garden Street #9, Titusville
- Port St. John — Beef O Brady's - 3745 Curtis Blvd — Port St. John
- Merritt Island — Harris Law Firm — 690 South Courtenay Pkwy — Merritt Island
- Cocoa - Jabber's — 4365 Grissom Parkway — Cocoa
- Rockledge - ABC Supply Co. — 605 Guss Hipp Blvd. — Rockledge
- Viera - Brevard Clerk of Court — 2825 Judge Fran Jamieson Way
- Melbourne - ABC Supply Co. 2809 S Harbor City Blvd, Melbourne
- Brevard Clerk of Court — 51 Norman Avenue, Melbourne
- Better Insurance Group — 1580 N Harbor City Blvd
- Jessups Pawn Shop — 925 E New Haven Avenue (downtown)
- Town and Country — 7300 Technology Drive, Melbourne
- Alfrey Roofing, inc — 2015 Aurora Road, Melbourne
CAIR Florida is collecting items for The Bahamas as part of the South Florida Muslim Federation. They are looking for:
- Non-perishable canned foods and can openers
- Hygiene kits
- Cleaning supplies
- Baby formula, bottles, and diapers
- Blankets and towels
- Flashlights and batteries
They stipulated they do not want clothes. You can donate on the South Florida Muslims website.
Caribbean Fire Rescue Benevolent is a nonprofit organization which is implementing a large scale donation gathering in association with Abaco relief out of Miami.
Items needed- tarps,nails,hammers,batteries,lights,solar lights, camp stoves, butane, small propane,over the counter meds, first aid supplies, bleach, bugspray, towels sheets, blankets,water, hygiene products, baby products, diapers, matches, candles, utensils, non pershible food items, plates, cups, trash bags, water, beverages, construction supplies.
- Marine A/C supply at 780 Mullet Road Suite #128 Cape Canaveral, FL 32920, normal business hours, contact Richard Hamill 1-(386)-478-8065
- Citrus grill at 20430 E.Pennsylvania Ave. Dunnellon, FL 34432, normal business hours 7am to 7pm Mon-Fri, and 7am-3pm Sat, Sun. Contact Mike Fletcher 1-(352)-249-6246
- First Response Training Group at 6310 Hazeltine National Dr. Orlando ,FL 32822, normal business hours, contact Jay Marquez -firstname.lastname@example.org
- Duette Fire Rescue Dist. at 34010 Wauchula Road, Parrish, FL 34219
Clean the World is asking people to go to Amazon and purchase items off their wish list to donate to those affected by Dorian. Clean The World is an Orlando-based charity that provides hygiene kits to people in emergencies like natural disasters. You can find Clean the World's Amazon Wish List HERE.
Community Healing Project in Daytona Beach is collecting water, children’s clothes, and other supplies, to ship over to The Bahamas. Visit their Facebook page for more information.
Heart to Heart "continually works with local partners to identify areas of greatest need and provide medical support and aid distribution."
Hope Town Volunteer Fire and Rescue in Abaco is collecting much needed supplies and money to help those in the Bahamas.
Drop off donations locations in Central Florida are:
- ORLANDO NORTH
3521 All American Boulevard
Orlando, FL 32801
- ORLANDO CENTRAL
7693 Currency Drive
Orlando, FL 32809
7505 Red Bug Lake Road
Oviedo, FL 32765
- WINTER GARDEN
Approximately 12.4 Miles from 32805
14215 W. Colonial Drive
Winter Garden, FL 34787
1270 North Wickham Road
Melbourne, FL 32935
Project Life Now of Project Life and Jump Ministries
- DROP OFF: 2550 W. Colonial Drive, Ste 300 Contact 407-242-2350
Salvation Army is providing food, clean water and support to families in shelters across The Bahamas. If you want to donate:
- Donate online: www.HelpSalvationArmy.org
- Donate by phone: 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769)
- Donate by mail: The Salvation Army, PO Box 1959, Atlanta, GA 30301
- Designate ‘2019 Hurricane – Dorian’ on all checks
Donations can be dropped off at:
- ORL Atlantic Aviation FBO
400 Herndon Ave
Orlando, Fl. 32803
Runway to Hope, a nonprofit organization, is partnering with Global Empowerment Mission and leading a supply drive to help Bahamians affected by Hurricane Dorian. People wishing to donate are asked to bring any of the following items: heavy duty garbage bags, solar fans/lights, non-perishable food items, dry formula and dry milk, cleaning supplies, hygiene products, feminine products, first aid kits, masks, diapers, Pedialite, flashlights, batteries, duct tape, can openers, pet food and toliet paper.
Donations can be dropped off here:
- September 6-7 from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Harbor Park in Lake Baldwin
4990 New Broad Street, Orlando 32814
Madame Tussauds Orlando / Sea Life Orlando Aquarium will collect supplies for Hurricane Dorian relief efforts September 6-8.
OTHER NATIONAL NONPROFITS
- GlobalGiving: https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/hurricane-dorian-relief-fund/
- World Central Kitchen: https://wck.org/news/hurricane-dorian
- International Medical Corps: https://internationalmedicalcorps.org/emergency-response/hurricane-dorian/
- Team Rubicon: https://teamrubiconusa.org/blog/readying-resources-for-likely-dorian-response/
- Water Mission: https://watermission.org/hurricane-dorian-response/
- Project Hope: https://www.projecthope.org/