ORLANDO, Fla. — One of the benefits of living in Florida is the lack of a state income tax, but there are lot of toll roads if you're not taking I-4. We have some tips to help you figure out which transponder might work for you.

  • In Florida, drivers can use either SunPass or E-Pass on toll roads
  • Make sure to remove EZ-Pass if you already have SunPass or E-Pass

In Florida, there is SunPass and the E-Pass. Here's a tip: if you're looking at saving some money with the initial purchase, the smaller transponder with E-Pass is free, and the one that you can easily move from car to car is about $10.

SunPass charges you about $5 for their "SunPass Mini,” and close to $20 for the one that you can move from car to car.

One thing to note: No matter which one you have, you're going to get a discount over the cash prices on the toll roads — that'll save you money and a lot of time.

If you take the roads managed by the Central Florida Expressway Authority, E-Pass has extra discounts based on volume, and if you take the beltway.

Here's one thing to remember: Not all toll booths are manned, so you need to have exact change since credit or debit cards can't be swiped.

If you don't have the cash, you can drive through and a picture will be taken of your license plate, and you'll be mailed a bill for that toll.

Another tip, and this one is important: If you're going to get either a Sunpass or E-Pass, but you already have your nationwide EZ-Pass, remove that one because you face being double charged since EZ-Pass is accepted on some roads here.

Here are some more helpful tips from E-Pass and SunPass:

Spectrum News 13 Insider is aimed at making your life in Central Florida easier. If you have a question, comment, or suggestion, head to mynews13.com/insider and fill out the simple form.