ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — More than a dozen people were displaced in an early-morning fire.

  • Fire started just before 1 a.m. at Lexington Place Condominiums
  • 14 people displaced; Red Cross assisting them
  • Cause of fire electrical

It happened just before 1 a.m. Friday at the Lexington Place off Westwood Boulevard. The location is not far from International Drive.

"I opened up the door to the patio and the flames were already shooting up," said witness Michael Reeves. "And it was coming from underneath and (the resident) exhausted the fire extinguisher. He left for about two minutes, came back with another fire extinguisher, exhausted that one.

"By that time it was out of control."

The state fire marshal says an electrical issue caused the fire. 

“There's a light on the back, you know how when you walk out to your porch you turn the light on?" said Lt. Cindy Campina with the state fire marshal's office. "That light somehow malfunctioned.”

The flames ripped a huge hole through the roof of the complex.

Two units had extensive damage, while two more units have water damage. Others have no power.

There were no injuries, but 14 people are without a place to stay. The Red Cross is assisting them.

Residents were eventually allowed back inside to collect their belongings.