ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Vivianne Gutierrez makes sure her daughter, Isabella is surrounded by safe toys.
Because she now knows firsthand the dangers toxic toys can have on children.
"I felt my world was destroyed," said Gutierrez.
Gutierrez’s world was destroyed because Isabella swallowed a button battery when she was one.
Isabella was flown from Naples to Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital where the battery was removed but it had burned the baby’s esophagus and trachea.
"She need a special tube for eating by the belly because this area was so bad," said Gutierrez.
That’s why Vivianne wants parents to take toy safety seriously.
The Trouble in Toyland Annual Survey of Toy Safety can help.
From toxic and choking hazards to dangerously-loud toys, the report highlights what made the naughty list this season.
Slime was high on that list.
Isabella was flown from Naples to Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital where the battery was removed but it had burned the baby’s esophagus and trachea. (Spectrum News image)
“When ingested and believe me, it does get ingested, even small doses of boron can cause nausea, vomiting and long-term reproductive health issues," said Bill Newton, Deputy Director of Florida Consumer Action Network.
Also a potential health issue, says Newton, noisy toys.
"Looks like a lot of fun but it can actually cause hearing damage that’s going to be a lifelong problem."
With the popularity of smart toys increasing, so does concern.
"Along the way, many of these toys collect data on children, they share consumer information and potentially violate a child’s privacy," said Newton.
And small parts like the button battery swallowed are scary, too.
"She has a miracle and she’s still alive," said Gutierrez.
While Isabella is now two and doing better with continued therapies and surgeries, Gutierrez hopes other parents can be spared any trouble in Toyland this holiday season.