Originally posted on: 7:26 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 13, 2017

Two people were hurt Sunday while transporting a gas grill when a woman lit a cigarette and their SUV exploded, police said.

  • SUV with gas grill inside explodes near Central Florida Fairgrounds
  • Police said woman went to light a cigarette inside the vehicle
  • 2 people suffered non-life-threatening burn injuries

The crash happened at about 3:26 p.m. at the entrance of the Central Florida Fairgrounds near colonial Drive and Pete Parrish Boulevard.

The man and his wife had a gas barbecue grill in the back of their Kia Sorento, according to Lt. Cindy Lane, of the Orlando Police Department.

The grill was turned on and the propane tank attached to the grill was open and connected. Police said the wife went to light a cigarette and the SUV exploded.

The vehicle continued westbound and crashed into a pole. The driver and the passenger, who weren't identified, were transported to an area hospital with burns. Their injuries are non-life-threatening, Lane said.

Pictures sent out via the Orlando Police Department's Twitter account show severe damage to the SUV.

No other information was released.