The University of Central Florida's main campus may have been targeted for an attack by a student found dead in his dorm room early Monday morning.

That student was James Seevakumaran, 30, a business student at UCF.

The Tower 1 residence hall, in Knights Plaza, was evacuated around 1 a.m., and remains evacuated while police investigate the death of a male student who appeared to have shot himself, along with a bag of improvised explosive devices found nearby.

Classes were cancelled until noon. The university said essential personnel should report to work, but other employees were asked to stay off campus until noon.


Monday's updates from UCF

6:35 p.m.

UCF Tower 1 is now completely back open.

5:15 p.m.

Florida Highway Patrol says they arrested James Seevakumaran in 2006 in Seminole County. They say he did not have a proper driver's license, and put a tag on his vehicle, which was not assigned to it. That's the only arrest UCF Police know of.

4:20 p.m.

UCF President Hitt, asked about whether this might lead to UCF allowing guns on campus, said that would be a recipe for disaster.

4:13 p.m.

Police received a 911 call from a roommate who said the student pulled a gun on him. They say that 911 call was extremely helpful in getting police to the tower.

4:08 p.m.

UCF Police say Seevakumaran, pulled a fire alarm to get people out in the open. Police believe rapid response from law enforcement made him rethink is plan. Weapons to be sent to FBI for analysis. The rifle was an American tactical rifle. Police say Seevakumaran also had four improvised explosive devices in a bag, and a couple hundred rounds of ammunition.

4 p.m.

The gunman is identified as James Seevakumaran, a business major. The 30-year-old had not enrolled for the spring semester. Police said evidence found in the room showed it was a planned attack. He was found dead with a .22 rifle and .45 handgun nearby.

1:20 p.m.

UCF's Counseling and Psychological Services is offering crisis services Monday in its main office, as well as at the Veterans Academic Resource Center. Students can meet individually or in small groups with CAPS clinicians. In-person crisis services are available until 6 p.m. Monday at both locations, and telephone crisis services will be available thereafter until the office opens again at 8 a.m. Tuesday.

If the need arises, expanded hours for in-person crisis services will be provided.

Students can call the CAPS main office at (407) 823-2811 to schedule an appointment, or can walk in to either location for services.

For telephone crisis services after 6 p.m., students can call (407) 823-2811 and select option 5.              


UCF's main campus has reopened. However, Tower 1 remains evacuated at this time during the ongoing investigation.

11:10 a.m.

All explosive devices will be removed from Tower 1 before noon, when classes resume.

Tower 1 is still an active crime scene, and will remain evacuated until further notice.

11 a.m.

UCF's main campus will resume normal operations at noon.

Tower 1 remains evacuated. The Veteran's Academic Resource Center is still open for Tower 1 residents.

Eplosives have been rendered safe.

Faculty members have been asked to be understanding of students who may not have class materials Monday.

UCF has confirmed the person found dead was a student.

A news conference has been scheduled for 3:45 p.m. Monday at UCF.


UCF police said they received a fire alarm call around 12:20 a.m. As they responded to that call, police then received a 911 call reporting a man with a gun.

When police arrived, they found a student with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. They also found a bag of improvised explosive devices, along with a handgun and a rifle.

Tower 1 was evacuated, and Parking Garage G was also closed. The parking garage has since reopened.

West Plaza and Victory Way are also blocked during the investigation.

"It was 12 o'clock and I was doing homework," said Jason Smith, a student who was evacuated. "The alarm went off and I figured it was too late to be a drill, so we just got up and left."

UCF sent a text message alert to students about the suspicious death, informing students the campus was closed until noon, but that there was no threat to the campus community.

"University police responded immediately when we received a fire alarm call and a subsequent 911 call," said UCF police Chief Richard Beary. "The safety of our students in Tower 1 and our entire campus community is our top priority."

One student, however, said he would have liked to know sooner.

"I would think that they would let us know faster, because it was at least two hours -- because it was at least 2 o'clock in the morning -- and this happened at midnight, and we didn't know anything for at least two hours," said student Nick Eckman. "It's sad that it was a student, but at least there weren't high casualties."

The evacuated students were initially encouraged to go to the Student Union or the Recreation and Wellness Center annex for counseling services. Counselors have been moved to the Veteran's Academic Resource Center as of 7 a.m. Food, water and counseling services were made available to evacuated students.

UCF said the Orange County Sheriff's Office and the FBI are assisting UCF police. The Sheriff's Office bomb squad has also responded to examine the explosives.

"It's scary," said student Ryan Elkin. "Obviously, it's in the news and stuff, with all the school shootings, but there's not much you can do about it. Obviously they took precautions and emptied out the whole building."

UCF said classes and operations in the Central Florida Research Park and all other campus locations were not impacted, and will continue as scheduled Monday.

This is a developing story. Check back and refresh this article for the latest updates.