* MOST RECENT UPDATES AT THE TOP.
Jump to: Trial | Jury Selection | Shooting Details
July 13, 2013 - NOT GUILTY.
July 12, 2013 - Jury begins deliberating.
Lawyers complete closing arguments.
July 11, 2013 - Prosecution's closing arguments.
Jury can consider manslaughter.
July 10, 2013 - Defense rests.
Zimmerman opts not to take stand.
July 9, 2013 - Forensic expert says evidence supports Zimmerman's story.
July 8, 2013 - Trayvon's father testifies, friends say Zimmerman was screaming on 911 call.
July 5, 2013 - Prosecution rests.
Mothers of Trayvon, Zimmerman each say her son was screaming on 911 call.
July 3, 2013 - 'Skype bomb' interrupts testimony, expert says Trayvon's DNA not on gun.
July 2, 2013 - State wants to show school records, medical examiner says Zimmerman's injuries were minor.
July 1, 2013 - Jury sees Zimmerman's re-enactment of scuffle, police interviews.
June 28, 2013 - Neighbor Jonathan Good described "MMA-style" scuffle.
June 27, 2013 - Rachel Jeantel says encounter was racially charged; more neighbors testify.
June 26, 2013 - Neighbors, 'Witness 8' take witness stand.
June 25, 2013 - Jury sees evidence, photos of Trayvon Martin's body.
June 24, 2013 - Opening statements include profanity, knock-knock joke.
June 20, 2013 - All-women jury of 6 seated.
June 19, 2013 - Zimmerman's parents in court, traditional voir dire questioning begins.
June 18, 2013 - Jury pool of 40 reached.
June 17, 2013 - Frye hearing resumes, defense's voice expert says 911 sample quality too poor.
June 14, 2013 - Dismissed juror returns to courthouse, warned for trespassing.
June 13, 2013 - Judge says she will sequester jury, trial expected to last 2 to 4 weeks.
June 12, 2013 - 20 jurors retained, lawyers looking for 30.
June 11, 2013 - Ten more jurors questioned, more than 70 already dismissed.
June 10, 2013 - Jury selection begins, judge denies last-minute delay of trial.
Before the trial
- June 8, 2013 - Frye hearing continued.
One expert witness was on a flight and could not testify. Jury selection set to begin as scheduled June 10.
- June 7, 2013 - State's voice experts testify on 911 call screams.
Experts admit though their opinions were that the screams were "probably" from Trayvon Martin, the audio sample is not suffient enough to truly say for sure.
- June 6, 2013 - Defense expert: It's not possible to 'match' a voice.
Defense voice expert Dr. Hirotaka Nakasone says computer-aided methods of matching audio to a speaker is "at least" a few years away, calling it "disturbing" that other scientists claim they can positively ID the screaming voice on the 911 call.
- June 4, 2013 - Courthouse security plan set for trial.
No bottled water allowed, courthouse employees must enter through a back entrance, and deputies will direct traffic outside the courthouse.
- June 3, 2013 - Appeals court rules Crump can be questioned.
Court of appeals rules in favor of Zimmerman's defense, overturning Judge Debra Nelson's denial of a motion to depose Martin family attorney Ben Crump.
Sanford police tight-lipped about security specifics.
Sanford Police Chief Cecil Smith says extra security will be in place, and "they will be ready for anything."
- June 2, 2013 - Defense apologizes about incorrect info about Trayvon video.
Mark O'Mara says a video previously described as "two buddies of [Trayvon's] beating up a homeless guy" was actually a video Martin recorded of two homeless people fighting each other over a bike.
- June 1, 2013 - Public lottery set for court seats.
24 seats will be available to the general public on Friday, June 7, from 2–4 p.m. at the Seminole County Supervisor of Elections Office, 101 Bush Blvd., Sanford.
- May 30, 2013 - Zimmerman raises $22,000 in one day.
Plea for money from George Zimmerman's legal defense fund leads to $22,000 in 24 hours.
Media says it won't photograph jury outside court.
Media hearing scheduled for Friday, May 31, cancelled.
- May 29, 2013 - Zimmerman's legal fund almost out of money.
George Zimmerman's legal defense fund trust website says it has less than $5,000 available, and more than $20,000 in outstanding bills, with less than two weeks before the trial.
Sanford residents discuss Zimmerman case's impact, Part I | Part II.
We asked a panel of six Sanford residents, all from different backgrounds, how the Trayvon Martin shooting has affected their lives in Sanford.
Extra security plans, guidelines released.
Extra deputies will be positioned near the Seminole County courthouse to direct traffic, and specific protest and media areas have been established.
- May 28, 2013 - Trayvon's pot use, texts, school suspension banned.
Lawyers may not discuss Trayvon Martin's marijuana use, texts or school performance during opening statements. They may be allowed as evidence during testimony. Judge Nelson also denied a delay of trial.
- May 24, 2013 - Defense questions state's audio experts.
Defense attorney Mark O'Mara claims some of the methodology used in analyzing 911 audio is not generally accepted by scientists in the same field.
- May 23, 2013 - Zimmerman attorney asks for six week delay of trial start.
Zimmerman attorney Mark O'Mara files a motion to delay the start of the trial by six weeks, citing new evidence he claims was withheld by the prosecution.
- May 22, 2013 - Zimmerman photos released by defense.
Dozens of photos released by the defense include pictures of George Zimmerman's graduation and Trayvon Martin surveillance photos from the 7-11 minutes before Martin was killed.
- May 16, 2013 - Shellie Zimmerman witness list released.
Witnesses include a court reporter, state investigators and George Zimmerman's sister. Shellie Zimmerman's perjury trial won't begin until after her husband's murder trial is over.
- May 14, 2013 - Expert analysis on 911 calls mixed.
State audio experts' opinions differ on whether Trayvon Martin or George Zimmerman was heard screaming on 911 calls.
- May 13, 2013 - State motions try to block Trayvon Martin talk.
In one of nine new state motions, prosecutors attempt to block mention of Trayvon's school performance, social media usernames and text messages from before the night of the shooting.
- May 10, 2013 - Potential jurors talking too much online?
Officials worry some Seminole County residents who received a jury summons are going too far by talking about the case on social media.
- May 9, 2013 - Defense wants jury to see shooting scene.
Zimmerman's lawyers want to be able to take jurors to the shooting scene during the trial, so they can see the area with their own eyes.
Defense: Jury should remain anonymous.
Zimmerman's lawyers ask the court to seal jurors' names and to keep them isolated during the trial, citing the large amount of media coverage the case has gotten.
- May 6, 2013 - Defense questions 911 calls, wants new hearing.
Defense attorney Mark O'Mara said he wants to be sure the methods the state's "expert witnesses" used to analyze 911 calls from the night of the shooting are generally accepted in the field of voice identification.
- April 30, 2013 - Zimmerman waives pretrial Stand Your Ground hearing.
George Zimmerman tells judge defense had his consent to waive his right to pretrial immunity hearing. Next status hearing scheduled for Tuesday, May 28.
- April 29, 2013 - Zimmerman 'ready to be questioned.'
Defense says their client will be in court April 30 for the last scheduled status hearing before the June 10 trial.
- April 27, 2013 - Trayvon Martin memorial dedicated.
Memorial at Goldsboro Welcome Center features headstone containing the names of Trayvon Martin and 10 other Sanford-area residents whose families say were killed unjustly.
O'Mara, Crump preview status hearing.
Both attorneys spoke on the case at a banquet for banquet for Florida Associated Press journalists.
- April 26, 2013 - Defense wants enhanced 911 calls.
According to defense, Martin family attorney Ben Crump claimed there's a call that reveals it was Trayvon yelling for help.
- April 25, 2013 - 500 jury summons to go out soon.
Legal analyst Mark NeJame: Attorneys will have a tough job picking a fair jury in Seminole County.
Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi weighs in on Trayvon Martin case.
Bondi asks appeals court to agree with the judge's decision to not allow defense to question Martin family attorney Ben Crump.
- April 24, 2013 - State wants court to question Zimmerman.
Prosecutors want to make sure George Zimmerman has consented to defense's waiving of his "Stand Your Ground" pretrial hearing.
- April 18, 2013 - Defense wants details of Martins' settlement with HOA.
Details of Martin family's settlement with Retreat at Twin Lakes subdivision were kept private.
- April 17, 2013 - Shellie Zimmerman's trial will be after George's.
Perjury trial against Zimmerman's wife will take place after his own trial for second-degree murder.
Trayvon's parents send letter to 8-year-old Boston bombing victim's family.
Photo released of Martin Richard showed the 8-year-old holding a sign he made in class that said, "No more hurting people. Peace," made in response to Trayvon Martin shooting.
- April 13, 2013 - Officer fired over shooting targets resembling Trayvon Martin.
Fired Port Canaveral Police Sgt. Ron King claims images were used as "don't shoot" targets.
- March 28, 2013 - Crump deposition denied again.
Judge denies defense's second request to question the lawyer for Trayvon Martin's family regarding a deposition he took of "Witness 8."
- March 27, 2013 - Robert Zimmerman Jr. apologizes for tweets.
George Zimmerman's brother tells CNN's Piers Morgan he "made a mistake" in tweeting a picture comparing Trayvon Martin to accused baby killer.
- March 26, 2013 - Zimmerman's defense releases witness list.
Defense lists 134 people, including Sanford Police officers, FDLE investigators, medical examiners, George Zimmerman's parents, and 56 unnamed witnesses.
'Witness 8' interview released.
Defense releases Benjamin Crump's deposition of Trayvon Martin's girlfriend.
- March 24, 2013 - Zimmerman's brother goes on controversial Twitter rant.
Robert Zimmerman Jr. compares Trayvon Martin to a 17-year-old accused of shooting and killing a baby in Georgia.
- March 18, 2013 - Defense asks again to question Benjamin Crump.
Zimmerman's lawyers ask judge to reconsider her own ruling.
- March 14, 2013 - New evidence includes photos of Trayvon Martin's cell phone.
Trayvon was said to be on the phone with "Witness 8" before the confrontation with Zimmerman. Defense did not release data from the phone, saying it's not public record.
- March 7, 2013 - George Zimmerman raised $53,000 in 2 months.
Legal defense fund says it has already spent $43,000 of the money raised from Jan. 1–March 3, 2013, including nearly $12,000 on living expenses.
- March 5, 2013 - No 'Stand Your Ground' hearing in April.
Attorney Mark O'Mara says the defense will not need two weeks set aside in April for a "Stand Your Ground" hearing.
- Feb. 26, 2013 - One year since Trayvon Martin shooting.
Trayvon's parents hold a rally in his memory in New York City.
Trayvon Martin memorials held in Sanford.
City leaders reflect on a "very trying year."
- Feb. 25, 2013 - Trayvon Martin honored at Orlando memorial.
Greater Orlando Cares Mentoring Group remembers Trayvon on the eve of the 1-year mark since his death.
- Feb. 24, 2013 - Sanford begins to heal.
1-year mark approaches since Trayvon Martin's death.
- Feb. 22, 2013 - Defense can't question Crump.
Judge denies request to depose Martin family's attorney.
Task force recommends keeping 'Stand Your Ground.'
Final report from the group appointed by Gov. Rick Scott to review the law says it should not be overturned.
- Feb. 21, 2013 - Trayvon Martin's parents planning civil suit?
An attorney representing Benjamin Crump says the Martins originally hired his client with plans to sue Zimmerman in civil court.
- Feb. 14, 2013 - Judge won't delay 'Stand Your Ground' hearing.
Judge Debra Nelson says the hearing must be held by the end of April.
- Feb. 13, 2013 - Defense asks for Trayvon Martin's phone records.
Zimmerman's attorneys want recordings of Trayvon's voice left on the phone of "Witness 8," believed to be his girlfriend.
- Feb. 5, 2013 - Trayvon Martin's birthday; he would have been 18.
Sanford city leaders take part in a "peace rally" at the Goldsboro Welcome Center.
Motion for trial delay denied.
Judge denies defense motion to delay the Zimmerman trial, but does grant a motion to keep information about "Witness 8" private.
- Feb. 1, 2013 - Prosecution doesn't want trial delay.
Prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda says Mark O'Mara is spending too much time talking to the media.
- Oct. 31, 2012 - Jose Baez files letter to Judge Debra Nelson.
Baez says prosecutor Bernie de la Rianda's statement that he was held in contempt of court during the Casey Anthony murder trial was false; he was only fined.
- Oct. 29, 2012 - Judge denies state's motion for a gag order, saying one is not necessary for a fair trial at this time.
- Oct. 26, 2012 - Prosecutors ask for a gag order against defense attorney Mark O'Mara.
Judge Nelson delays her decision.
- Oct. 19, 2012 - Judge Nelson grants the defense access to Trayvon Martin's school records and social media posts, and the state access to Zimmerman's medical records, pending a review.
- Oct. 17, 2012 - Judge Debra Nelson sets a tentative trial date for June 10, 2013.
- Oct. 15, 2012 - Zimmerman's defense requests a senior judge to stand on issues of reciprocal discovery, and a third party to sit in on depositions with witnesses that have strong ties to the case.
- Oct. 9, 2012 - Trayvon Martin's parents say the teen's "school records and Facebook page are completely irrelevant to George Zimmerman's decision to get out of his car to profile, pursue, and shoot their son."
George Zimmerman's mother speaks to CNN's Piers Morgan, saying the media pas portrayed her son in a bad light.
- Oct. 8, 2012 - George Zimmerman's defense requests Trayvon Martin's Twitter and Facebook posts, along with his cell phone and school records.
- Oct. 5, 2012 - George Zimmerman considers suing NBC for defamation over reports about a phone call he made to dispatchers moments before shooting Trayvon Martin.
- Oct. 3, 2012 - Docket sounding moved to Oct. 17.
- Aug. 30, 2012 - Judge Debra Nelson assigned to the Zimmerman case, replacing Kenneth Lester.
- Aug. 29, 2012 - Appeals court grants George Zimmerman's request to dismiss Judge Kenneth Lester from the case, saying he could be considered biased.
- Aug. 13, 2012 - Defense attorney Mark O'Mara appeals to have Judge Kenneth Lester removed from the case.
- Aug. 10, 2012 - Newly released documents include George Zimmerman's application to the Seminole County Sheriff's Office, and a later redacted photo of Trayvon Martin's body.
- Aug. 9, 2012 - Defense attorney Mark O'Mara announces there will be a "Stand Your Ground" trial for George Zimmerman. If a judge rules in his favor, Zimmerman could be cleared of all charges in the Trayvon Martin shooting.
- Aug. 7, 2012 - Judge grants defense's motion to continue the Zimmerman case. Next hearing scheduled for Oct. 3.
- Aug. 5, 2012 - Volunteers replace a memorial for Trayvon Martin outside the Retreat at Twin Lakes subdivision in Sanford after several previous memorials were mysteriously removed.
- Aug. 1, 2012 - Judge Kenneth Lester announces he will not recuse himself from the Zimmerman case.
Friday, July 27, 2012
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Thursday, July 19, 2012
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
- In a televised interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity, George Zimmerman says what happened the night of Trayvon Martin's death was part of "God's plan."
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
- New audio released, including jailhouse calls between George Zimmerman and his wife, and claims from the unidentified "Witness No. 9" that the Zimmerman family is racist.
Friday, July 13, 2012
Friday, July 6, 2012
Thursday, June 21, 2012
- George Zimmerman's legal team releases new documents, including video of Zimmerman re-enacting his actions at the shooting scene, and his written statement to police.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Sunday, June 3, 2012
- George Zimmerman turns himself back in to authorities at the Seminole County Jail. Attorney Mark O'Mara said he plans to file a motion for a new bond hearing.
Friday, June 1, 2012
- Judge Kenneth Lester revokes George Zimmerman's bond, ordering him to turn himself in within 48 hours. Prosecutors argued Zimmerman had more money than he and his wife previously testified having at his original bond hearing.
Thursday, May 24, 2012
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Thursday, May 17, 2012
- New evidence released to the public, including 183 pages of documents, new photos, audio recordings and surveillance video of Trayvon Martin at a 7-Eleven shortly before he was shot.
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Friday, May 4, 2012
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
Friday, April 27, 2012
Thursday, April 26, 2012
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Monday, April 23, 2012
Friday, April 20, 2012
Thursday, April 19, 2012
Monday, April 16, 2012
Thursday, April 12, 2012
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Tuesday, Apr. 10, 2012
Monday, Apr. 9, 2012
Sunday, Apr. 8, 2012
Saturday, Apr. 7, 2012
Friday, Apr. 6, 2012
Thursday, Apr. 5, 2012
Wednesday, Apr. 4, 2012
Tuesday, Apr. 3, 2012
Monday, Apr. 2, 2012
Sunday, Apr. 1, 2012
- Thousands gather in Miami for a rally in memory of Trayvon Martin.
Saturday, Mar. 31, 2012
Friday, Mar. 30, 2012
Thursday, Mar. 29, 2012:
Wednesday, Mar. 28, 2012:
Tuesday, Mar. 27, 2012:
Monday, Mar. 26, 2012:
Sunday, Mar. 25, 2012:
Saturday, Mar. 24, 2012:
Friday, Mar. 23, 2012:
Thursday, Mar. 22, 2012:
Wednesday, Mar. 21, 2012:
Tuesday, Mar. 20, 2012:
Monday, Mar. 19, 2012:
Sunday, Mar. 18, 2012:
Friday, Mar. 16, 2012:
Thursday, Mar. 15, 2012:
Wednesday, Mar. 14, 2012:
Tuesday, Mar. 13, 2012:
Monday, Mar. 12, 2012:
Saturday, Mar. 10, 2012:
Thursday, Mar. 8, 2012:
- Feb. 29, 2012 - Sanford police say George Zimmerman was "serving in the role of neighborhood watch" when the shooting happened. Police say Trayvon was visiting family friends in Sanford for the week.
- Feb. 27, 2012 - Sanford police identify the victim as 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, and the shooter as 28-year-old George Zimmerman.
- Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012 - Sanford police are called to 1231 Twin Trees Lane after 911 calls reporting shots fired. Police arrive to find a male victim shot and killed. An incident report says there was a altercation between two males and shots were fired.