Day 3: Casey Anthony has dizzy spell, Juror fined for talking to press

By Jacqueline Fell and Adam Longo, Team Coverage
Last Updated: Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Jury selection for the Casey Anthony trial saw some interesting developments Wednesday, as one juror was held in contempt, and Casey had to briefly leave the courtroom.

After Judge Belvin Perry had to dismiss an entire pool of 50 jurors on Tuesday, he brought on 90 new ones in two pools, keeping everyone at the Pinellas County Criminal Justice Center until 7 p.m. Wednesday.


Jury selection by the numbers
  • 200 jurors questioned
  • 69 retained (34%)
  • 50 jurors dismissed Tuesday for discussing the case


Casey escorted from courtroom

At one point Wednesday afternoon, Casey had to leave the courtroom after apparently becoming sick while Judge Perry spoke to a new pool of jurors.

It was the second time that day she had heard the judge read the charges against her. She broke down in tears each time.

Casey was brought back in a few minutes later, and jury selection continued.


Juror fined for talking to reporter

After court returned from a lunch break Wednesday, Judge Perry called one juror back after he was caught trying to get out of jury duty.

The judge held the man in contempt of court, and fined him $450 for talking to a reporter while court was in recess.

The man, identified as Jonathan Green, said he didn't know he did anything wrong, and told Judge Perry he must not have listened to the order not to talk to anyone about the Casey Anthony case.

After receiving his sentence -- and his bill -- Green laughed and said, "Well, at least I got out of jury duty."

Earlier Wednesday, the judge had asked that the televisions in the courthouse's cafeteria be turned off, because defense attorney Jose Baez complained that all the TVs there were tuned to the morning news.


'We'll be done in July.'

Judge Perry seems to be set on getting the Casey Anthony trial over with quickly.

He has told the pools of jurors that the trial will be in session for a half day on Saturdays, and even hinted as his planned timetable when one juror said she had a scheduled flight to London for vacation on July 14.

The judge's response: "We'll be done by July 14."

That juror will return for Round 2 of questioning. For the first round, the judge and attorneys dismissed any jurors who would face hardship if they had to serve six to eight weeks of jury duty.

Those who claimed hardship included students, parents of young children and children of elderly or disabled parents.

One man excused was recently diagnosed with cancer. Another was a member of the Coast Guard preparing to be deployed to Alaska, and yet another was the main attorney for U.S. Central Command at MacDill Air Force Base, in Tampa.

For those jurors retained, the judge tried his best to mitigate their fears about serving on a sequestered jury for up to eight weeks.

"I have selected a very nice hotel for you," he assured them. "Don't worry about that. The food will be excellent."