Last Updated: Saturday, January 07, 2017, 4:53 PM EST
A mission in Titusville is stepping up this weekend to make sure families and local homeless in need are better prepared for the winter chill.
- Hummingbird Mission serves almost 200 families each month
- Hundreds of gloves, hats, scarves, coats and sweaters collected this past week
- Group has dropped off more than three dozen coats to Titusville Veterans Center
Hummingbird Mission has grown fast in the few months since it opened, serving now almost 200 families each month. Now, at one of the busiest times of the year, the group is helping out by keeping people clothed during the winter.
"There are so many families that are right here, they are our neighbors and it is so important to us that they not only have warm clothes, but they have decent clothing, as well,” said Regina Stanford, the owner of Hummingbird Mission.
Over the past week, Hummingbird collected hundreds of gloves, hats, scarves, coats and sweaters to hand out over the weekend ahead of the expected cold temperatures.
Ph: Caitlin Wilson, staff
"A little ten year old boy was in this morning getting something for his hamster, and was able to get a coat and a hat, and he was just all smiles, so that was really pleasing to see,” said mission volunteer Jackie Bell.
The group also dropped off more than three dozen coats with Titusville's National Homeless Veterans Support Saturday morning, and dozens of families have stopped in to pick up warm clothing.
"We want to make sure everyone is warm and not in need and not freezing. If they need the warm clothes, we have them and that's what the mission is all about,” Stanford said.
The mission will be closed Sunday. However, volunteers will still be handing out free warm clothes through Monday and Tuesday, if needed.
Brevard County also opened up their cold weather shelters for the evening due to the cold temperatures.
List of Shelters:
- His Place Ministries, 1842 South Harbor City Blvd., Melbourne. 321-674-9009
- Central Brevard Sharing Center, 113 Aurora Street, Cocoa. 321-631-0306
- Our Savior (Cold Night Ministries), 5301 N. Atlantic Ave., Cocoa Beach. 321-544-1684