Last Updated: Monday, February 13, 2017
The top girls basketball teams in Central Florida, as selected by the Spectrum Sports staff:
1. First Academy (25-1) – Successful Royals program has never won a state title, but they open regional playoffs as the favorite in 4A.
2. Osceola (25-2) – Two decades have passed since the last time the Kowboys had this many wins entering the state playoffs.
3. Orlando Christian Prep (23-4) – Warriors are a prohibitive favorite to win their sixth state title, which would be one shy of an area record.
4. Oak Ridge (22-4) – Pioneers handled Dr. Phillips for their second consecutive district title and will host Newsome in the region quarterfinals.
5. Wekiva (22-5) – Mustangs emerged as district champs from highly competitive 9A-3 and are positioned for a chance to make state tourney for first time.
6. Windermere Prep (18-9) – Defending 3A champs open regionals with Trinity Catholic before a potential meeting with either Master’s Academy or The Villages.
7. Boone (19-8) – Balanced Braves play good defense and value the ball, meaning they’ll be a tough out in the region playoffs.
8. Leesburg (18-6) – Yellow Jackets enter regionals on an 11-game winning streak after Friday’s district title victory over pesky Poinciana.
9. Edgewater (19-8) – Look for a fast pace and a lot of points when Eagles host Atlantic (23-4) in 7A region quarterfinal on Thursday night.
10. Master’s Academy (19-8) – District final loss to Windermere Prep sends the Eagles on the road to The Villages for Thursday’s region quarterfinal.
Best of the Rest:
11. CFCA (22-5)
12. The Villages (25-2)
13. Titusville (25-2)
14. Melbourne Central Catholic (26-2)
15. Orlando University (18-8)
Austin Lyon can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter, @AustinRLyon
*NOTE: These will be the final rankings until the conclusion of the state tournament